This week I created a Delicious account, installed the Bookmarklet and added some film-related websites to it (Moviemail, Lux, BFI, Imbd) using Firefox (could not get it to work on Explorer). After that I had a look at other people’s accounts but left it at that and moved on to Mendeley and Endnote.
Having just finished my MSc, I was curious to see what I might possibly have missed in NOT using a bibliographic software tool. I did do a bit of fiddling with Mendeley but not too much. Since I was most interested in changing and editing reference styles and this can’t be done in the Mendeley Web version, I only created an account, installed the (very handy!!) import to Mendeley button and imported some articles from various databases.
Then I moved on to Endnote. I downloaded the software, created and Web of Knowledge account and imported some references in my Endnote Library. With these references saved to My Library, I changed the reference style to APA and inserted these references in a Word document. How wonderful!! I wish now that I had taken the time to look at Endnote when I was slaving away, typing in all those references one by one. At the time I was so obsessed with finding information and writing it down, it seemed too much of an effort to experiment and getting to grips with a new software tool. Too late for me now (and I won’t be doing another MSc!!), but will be recommending Endnote to others!
Having just finished my MSc, I was curious to see what I might possibly have missed in NOT using a bibliographic software tool. I did do a bit of fiddling with Mendeley but not too much. Since I was most interested in changing and editing reference styles and this can’t be done in the Mendeley Web version, I only created an account, installed the (very handy!!) import to Mendeley button and imported some articles from various databases.
Then I moved on to Endnote. I downloaded the software, created and Web of Knowledge account and imported some references in my Endnote Library. With these references saved to My Library, I changed the reference style to APA and inserted these references in a Word document. How wonderful!! I wish now that I had taken the time to look at Endnote when I was slaving away, typing in all those references one by one. At the time I was so obsessed with finding information and writing it down, it seemed too much of an effort to experiment and getting to grips with a new software tool. Too late for me now (and I won’t be doing another MSc!!), but will be recommending Endnote to others!
No comments:
Post a Comment